Phillip Island to Fangio - History of the Light Car Club of Australia
Australia`s leading car club for almost 70 years, the Light Car Club of Australia ran the original Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island in 1928, started Rob Roy hill climb, organised motor racing at Albert Park in the 1950s, initiated the Armstrong 500 race in 1960 which has become the Bathurst 1000, ran motor racing at Sandown for over 20 years and organised two of Australia`s classic rallies, the Alpine Rally and the BP Rally of South Eastern Australia.
This book traces the history of the club from its formation in 1924 by members of the RACV. As well as the above, there are chapters on the fabulous Juan Manuel Fangio Australian Grand Prix meeting in 1978, the Experts Trial, the Tasman series of races, Lakeland hill climb and the failed bids to establish a racing circuit on the Mornington Peninsula.
Other chapters cover club personalities including Lex Davison and Bill Patterson, the establishment of the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS), the track safety organization Women for Wheels and importantly, the inside story of the politics of the upgrading of the Sandown race track for Formula 1, the financial problems this caused the club, and the running of two World Sports Car championship races that eventually led the club into bankruptcy in 1992.
Phillip Island to Fangio is a detailed account of the people, events and politics of the Light Car Club of Australia.
It also contains records of Past Presidents and Life Members, and winners of the club's perpetual trophies and major events. It is a hard cover book, with 48 chapters and approximately 80,000 words and contains hundreds of classic photographs.
Phillip Island to Fangio has been written by Bob Watson, former Australian Rally champion driver and track racer, organiser of numerous major car rallies and a former Vice President of the Light Car Club.